Serves 4 – 6
2 extra-large eggs, separated
125 ml (105 g) castor sugar
250 ml (140 g) cake wheat flour
1 ml salt
15 ml castor sugar for sprinkling
300 g strawberries, puréed
20 ml fresh lemon juice
80 ml (70 g) castor sugar
20 ml cornflour
20 ml water
250 g mascarpone or cream cheese
2 extra-large egg yolks
60 ml (50 g) castor sugar
125 ml fresh cream, whipped
extra sliced strawberries and fresh mint for garnishing
1. Sponge fingers: Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light and creamy.
2. Sift flour and salt together and gently fold into egg yolk mixture. Beat egg whites until soft peak stage and fold into egg yolk mixture, using a metal spoon. Beat well until smooth and lump free.
3. Spoon mixture into a piping bag, fitted with a medium, round nozzle, and pipe into finger shapes of about 8 cm long, onto greased baking trays or éclair pans. Sprinkle sugar over.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 8 minutes, or until done. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Strawberry sauce: Combine strawberries, lemon juice and castor sugar in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil. Mix cornflour and water until smooth and add to strawberry sauce, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
6. Filling: Combine mascarpone, egg yolks and sugar and beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.
7. Spoon some of the sauce onto the bases of individual glass ramekins. Break sponge fingers into smaller pieces and layer onto sauce. Top with some cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
8. Spoon some more sauce on top and swirl through. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Just before serving, garnish with sliced strawberries and mint.