6–8 slices panettone, 2 cm thick, some crusts removed
about 50 g soft butter or margarine for spreading
2 extra-large eggs
2 extra-large egg yolks
300 ml milk
250 ml fresh cream
125 ml (105 g) castor sugar
3 ml vanilla or caramel essence
5 ml grated lemon rind (optional)
extra castor sugar for sprinkling
1. Butter each slice of panettone on one side. Cut in half diagonally and layer in a large, greased ovenproof dish.
2. Whisk eggs, egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar and essence together.
3. Stir in lemon rind and slowly pour liquid over buttered bread. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes to allow liquid to soak into bread. Sprinkle with extra castor sugar.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 30 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Serve with custard.
– When using standard white bread, add 40 g dried apricots, coarsely chopped, and 40 g seedless raisins.