Makes 12 standard
125 g butter or margarine, softened
125 ml (100 g) sugar
2 extra-large eggs
5 ml vanilla essence
500 ml (280 g) Snowflake cake flour
10 ml baking powder
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
100 g muesli
175 g tub plain yoghurt
60 ml milk
125 ml honey, heated
extra muesli for sprinkling
1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy. Add essence.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together. Add muesli.
3. Add dry ingredients, alternately with yoghurt and milk, to egg mixture. Mix lightly until just combined. Do not over-mix; mixture should still be lumpy.
4. Spoon mixture into greased muffin pans, filling each two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Topping: Prick muffins when taken from the oven, drizzle with warm honey and sprinkle with extra muesli. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm with butter.
– Large muffins: Make 6 large muffins and bake for about 25 minutes.
– Double muesli: Sprinkle about 25 g extra muesli over muffins before baking.
– Coffee muffins: Omit honey. Dissolve 10 ml instant coffee granules and 20 ml sugar in 30 ml hot water. Drizzle over muffins when taken from the oven.