Marmite®- layered cheese muffins
This is an easy twist from the well-known Marmite® cake. I suppose you have to be a South-African to understand Marmite®! I enjoy eating warm from the oven, but of course it is as great to eat the next day. It also makes for a nice kids lunchbox treat. Taken from my recipe book: “Sugar & Spice”.
Makes about 10
500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
15 ml (1 Tbsp) baking powder
1 ml (pinch) salt
250 ml (1 cup) milk or buttermilk
2 extra-large eggs
100 ml cooking oil
Filling and topping
60 g butter or margarine, softened
45 ml (3 Tbsp) Marmite®
80 ml (⅓ cup) finely grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C. Grease hollows of a 12-cup muffin pan.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Beat milk, eggs and oil together. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and mix lightly until just combined. Do not over-mix; mixture should still be lumpy.
2. Spoon mixture into paper cups, filling each half-full. Combine butter and Marmite®. Spoon about 3 ml (½ tsp) of Marmite® mixture in the centre of batter. Spoon more batter on top to cover.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes, until done and golden brown. Heat remaining Marmite® mixture in the microwave until slightly melted. Brush top of warm muffins with mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
– Add a sprinkling of cheese on top of the Marmite® mixture in the middle of batter.
– Cheesy tomato muffins: Omit topping and filling. Add 125 g coarsely chopped mozzarella cheese, 125 g cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, to the mixture.