Hertzogkoekies (Coconut & jam cookies)
Crispy pastry base, filled with jam and topped with a coconut meringue. Simple delicious and takes us all back to our childhood memories!
Makes about 25
500 ml (280 g) Snowflake cake flour
10 ml baking powder
1 ml salt
125 g cold butter or margarine
50 ml castor sugar
3 extra-large eggs, separated
about 50 ml water
200 g smooth apricot jam
300 ml (250 g) castor sugar
500 ml (160 g) desiccated coconut
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add castor sugar.
2. Whisk egg yolks and water together. Add to dry ingredients, cut in with a knife and knead lightly to a soft dough.
3. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 3 mm. Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter, about 5 cm in diameter. Line the bases of greased patty pan tins with dough rounds.
4. Spoon one teaspoonful of apricot jam into middle of each round.
5. Beat egg whites until soft peak stage. Gradually add castor sugar and beat until stiff peak stage. Fold in coconut. Spoon meringue mixture over apricot jam filling.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 *C for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
When making jam tarts, put spoonsful of apricot jam into a plastic bag containing a little flour. Shake the bag until the jam is well coated with flour, then place onto pastry. This will ensure that the jam does not “leak” during baking.