Serves 4 – 6
30 ml cornflour
30 ml cake wheat flour
45 ml custard powder
1 ml salt
45 ml sugar
2 extra-large eggs, separated
1 litre milk
60 g butter or margarine, melted
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
1. Mix cornflour, cake flour, custard powder, salt and sugar together. Whisk the egg yolks and a little bit of the milk together. Add to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
2. Heat remaining milk in a medium, heavy-based saucepan and stir egg mixture slowly into milk. Bring to the boil and simmer, whisking constantly to prevent burning, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff peak stage and gently fold into cooled mixture.
4. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar onto base of a large, greased ovenproof dish. Use a spoon to dip into the melted butter (this will prevent mixture to stick to spoon), and thereafter add spoonsful of the mixture into the dish.
5. Spoon a layer of dumplings, cinnamon sugar and melted butter. Repeat until mixture is finished. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 20 – 30 minutes. Serve warm.